Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Spring is in the air

Another month has gone by...can't believe it. We have been busy getting in contact with Keke at Isabel's House to plan this semester's events. We still have our $300 so we plan on doing lots of fun things for the kids this spring. We are going to buy kites for the kids and take them outside and fly the kites with them. Then they can either keep them at Isabel's House or let the kids take them back home. We are also planning an Easter Egg hunt. (The Easter Bunny is going to make a surprise visit aka Emily Kessler). Also, for St. Patrick's Day we are going to have a treasure hunt with a 'pot of gold' at the end. Depending on the weather this hunt will be either inside the house or outside in the back. Some other ideas we have are decorating bird feeders or decorating flower pots and planting a flower in it. 

Oscar Night America is coming up too. We attended this event last year, but this year we want to try to volunteer at it instead. We really enjoyed it last year.

I hope that we can volunteer more regularly this semester with Isabel's House. We are hoping to really get to interact with the kids on a regular basis. Sometimes it is hard because they won't have any kids on some days. 
I am looking forward to the technology fast this semester. I think it will be a fun bonding experience for all of the Summiteers. As much as I rely on my cell phone and laptop I don't think it will be too hard to fast for 24 hours from them... especially with my wonderful roommates around to keep me company. 

This past semester has made me a stronger leader by teaching me important life lessons. Living in Summit I have learned a lot. It sounds stupid, but I had never had to do laundry or cook at home. I also learned how important it is to stay on top of the cleaning. It's a pain when it gets realllllyyyy dirty. I have learned how to live with roommates. We have all learned from each other. Also, the guest speakers we have had have really helped open my eyes to a lot of things. Like the police officer that spoke and the wellness program taught me how to relax in times of stress. All of these things will make me a better leader. 

I'm excited for some quality Summit time Friday night. Hopefully we won't be as wound up this time.

Adios,
Hanna

No comments:

Post a Comment