Friday, May 6, 2011

Final Days in Summitville

In a nutshell, this year in Summit has been an exciting, roller-coaster ride of experiences.

As we dealt with different government organizations with privacy policies, and worked with a unique and respected nonprofit,  I have learned to appreciate a lot.  First I learned to appreciate organization and time management.  I think I did a good job applying myself equally between all of my projects this year, and with working with Isabel's House, But I know if Isabel's House wasn't nearly as organized as they are, we would have definitely had a harder time volunteering for them.    

Mostly, what I learned was just to appreciate what I have been given in my life, working with Isabel's house has made me realize how many children do not get the childhood they deserve, which in turn will affect their whole life.  Isabel's House is a way for some of these children to experience what being a kid is supposed to feel like. Just having the chance to work with a nonprofit like this and interact with some of these children has made me feel like I have touched somebody's life in a positive way.  Hopefully the kids at Isabel's House will remember what it felt like to be loved for a day.  

I think we are very lucky to have gotten to live in Summit, even though we live busy BUSY lives, especially with SIFE and sororities and double majors, Summit still instills some sort of responsibility for your wellbeing.  Its a way for you to not focus so much on yourself, but on others, who need your help.  

Looking back,  I would have decided on another service project for Summit,  I still loved being a part of Isabel's House, but it was obvious, that Isabel's House is not necessarily fit for Summit projects,  since you never know who will be at Isabel's House, it is hard to have a consistent schedule for volunteering at Isabel's House,  and since Isabel's House is a fairly new nonprofit, it is hard for them to identify new needs, because as of right now, they have everything they need.

I would suggest to future summiteers, to not use Isabel's House as their project and make sure the project they choose, is with a nonprofit that needs consistent volunteers and can identify a secure need that you can address that year.

- Em Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment