Thursday, May 5, 2011

One. More. Week.

1. My Summit Experience this past year has been full of surprises and life lessons.

2. Summit has taught me a lot of things that will be beneficial to the rest of my time at Drury. It has taught me how yo live with three other girls and still love each other after it all. I have learned better time management figuring out how to fit volunteering into my schedule. Also, I have learned a lot with living with boys above us; they really are messy. 

3. The greatest thing I learned from living in Summit Park is cooperation skills. Everyone was raised differently so it's difficult at first to live with three other people, but with a little patience everything turns out just fine. 

4. I feel that I have made an impact on the community by helping with Isabel's House. This area has the highest rate of child abuse; even higher than St. Louis and Kansas City. It makes me feel better that we were able to touch the lives of just a few kids this past year. We are so blessed and it is important to give back to the community to those that aren't so blessed.

5. If I would not have lived in Summit my experience at Drury would not have been the same. I would not have had the volunteer opportunities that Summit gave me. Also, I would not have had the chance to get to know a lot of people that I wouldn't have met if it wasn't for our Summit Socials and classes on Fridays. 

6. Looking back at the Summit Experience I would have changed the organization that we worked with. It was hard to schedule regular times to volunteer. I loved working with Isabel's House, but I was hoping for a more regular schedule. 

7. Advice for future Summit groups: 
  •          Don't let boys trick you into living under them instead of above them. They might think that girls are giggly and loud, but trust me...the way boys walk it sounds like the ceiling is going to fall in.
  •         Learn to turn the oven off after you are done using it.
  •         Clean out the lent thing in the dryer.
  •         Don't put dish washing sink soap in the dish washer.


We have been working on our gift baskets for the kids at Isabel's House to take home with them. Here is a picture of Em hard at work



Hanna

No comments:

Post a Comment