Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A great start to finals week!

Amanda and I finally got to work at Isabel's House on this past Sunday!

It was amazing to finally get to see the center, and take care of two, one-month year old boys.  The two girls we worked with on Sunday showed us around and gave us a lot of good tips for the upcoming semester of working with them.

They told us that there is a big turnover of volunteers at Isabel's House because most people do not realize what they are getting themselves into by working at such a high-security place such as Isabel's House.  Some people can't handle dealing with children who have been through such terrible crisis.  It reminded me of my mother's stories from the hospital, she used to say the hardest patients to deal with emotionally are the abused children that come into the hospital.  I can understand why there is a high turnover of volunteers.
I let them know though, that we will not turn our backs on Isabel's House.  When we get back to school next semester, I am planning on being at Isabel's House at least once a week helping out however I can.

I hope everyone enjoys their holiday!

Em J

No comments:

Post a Comment