Sunday, December 12, 2010

Success!

Finally! I got my first interaction with the kids in Isabel's House.Today, there was twin 1 month old boys...they were sooooo tiny and it made me realize how, as a college student, I rarely seen infants around campus! So that in itself was a wonderful experience.

Also, I learned some more information and helpful tips to help us get the most out of this project.
1. they do NOT need a lot of help with donations. There is alway a steady flow coming in....
2. The staff has had trouble keeping people working there because either they do not like the stress that comes with being an employee there or they can not handle the emotional trama of some of the cases that come in.
3. BUT the staff (especially vol. like us) work on a need-to-know basis. For example, the staff has no idea why the twin boys had to come in or thier homelife situation.
4. The job is VERY tedious..EVERY little thing has to be documented...which can wear down the staff. This place is very organized and on LOCK DOWN. also, everything is cleaned with bleach...which is what em and I did today we held the boys and also got to disinfect the carseat collection!!!
5. most of the children are infants or two and under that come in.

This is something I have learned in life and has been reemphasized through this project. Expectations are the devil. I am sure some of my roomates and myself thought we wre going to make this HUGE impact and be very helpful and needed. But the reality is that volunteers can make the staffs life even more stressful sometimes. That is why I do not mind taking up chores like cleaning car seats because that is actually something they need from me to ease thier stress so they can look after the needs of the children better.

Also, I am VERY excited to get back home this summer and work with the kids at camp again! I think for college students and adults alike it is benifical to spend time with children because in our hectic lives it is too easy to forget how much joy you can get out of coloring or dancing.

All in all, Id have to say it was a success....

Merry Christmas see you next semester and STAY WARM

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment